Thread: How to capture JVC HDV 720/30p in FCP 6.0.2?

New User

Default How to capture JVC HDV 720/30p in FCP 6.0.2?

In my first attempts at capturing an HDV tape from the JVC HD100 camera, I have been unsuccessful. What are the correct settings and procedure in FCP 6.0.2 to do so? Thanks in advance.
    Yasha

It's standard HDV, or AIC, or Pro Res. What exactly is the problem you're having? "Unsuccessful" doesn't tell us much.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

New User

It's standard HDV and with Capture NOW, I got no picture, no sound, just an empty clip, though my capture settings were correct.
    What are the proper settings? HDV Firewire?
    Yasha

HDV 720p30. What exact happens, step-by-step in your process? We can't see your computer from here.
    All the best,

Tom

http://www.fcpxbook.com

New User

Not much happens is the problem. In Log & Capture, no communication with device appears, so I press play on the VTR of the camera and NOW in the
    capture window. I have picture and sound on the tape but so far, I have no picture nor sound through the Firewire, just an empty 55 minute Quicktime file.
    Yasha

New User

Now trying to capture a 720p/30p tape from a JVC HDV deck (BR-HD50) into FCP 6.0.2 via Firewire. FCP will recognize the VTR with tape stopped, but when played for a few seconds, it says no communication. This is because the Audio/Video settings are all DV, the only way I can get a Log & Capture window.
    When in HDV settings, I get an error message, "Unable to Initialize Capture Device. Device is not connected or the capture preset is not setyp correctly. This might also happen if you play DV footage in an HDV device."
    The device is connected and seen when in DV mode. The tape is 720p/30p (verified in camera playback mode). It must be my presets.
    Please tell me what my capture preset should be.
    Yasha

It sounds like you don't have the deck correctly set to output HDV. Sounds like it's set to output DV. I believe there's a menu setting for this. In my experience FCP has problems recognizing JVC HDV devices when they're set to output DV. The capture preset should be HDV 720p30. Make sure that's what your device is sending out.
    All the best,

Tom

http://www.fcpxbook.com

New User

Thanks. The deck was OK. I got it. The solution was "Easy Set-Up" and I read it in the manual. Thanks for your responses.
    Yasha